Parents, we need your help!
CoderDojo sessions are self-organized and started with parent involvement. Bill Liao, the founder of CoderDojo, has a saying that “CoderDojo is free, but it’s not a ‘free ride’.” He stresses parental involvement.
Our goal is to promote technology as a fun and educational activity that can solve problems and provide a path to a good career. The Dojo helps kids with problem solving, teamwork, collaboration and engineering skills as well as with self confidence. There are kids in other Dojo’s starting companies and putting their apps on mobile app stores!
Parents are needed to set up before and clean up after a ‘dojo session. This takes less than twenty minutes for a single person to hang/remove some signs and let people into the building, put away materials and laptops and lock everything up.
The following information is subject to change:
- Direct the kids to find a project idea on coderdojo.com/resources at the beginning of each session.
- The kids will work at their own pace on their own projects. This is unstructured time, creative time. There are NO grades, NO expectations. There are kids teaching and mentoring other kids.
What you need to know about the Dojo:
- We follow the Denver Public School calendar running a Fall and Spring Session. We do not operate during summer.
- this policy is subject to change You or another adult family member or guardian MUST stay if your student is under the age of 10. We do not provide childcare.
- We don’t have behavior problems because the parents are there in the room. We encourage you to socialize with the other parents, organize potlucks, even start your own Dojo!
- Please bring your own laptop. The donated laptops we have will be provided on a first come first served basis.
- Does your child have good keyboarding skills? This is an important skill regardless of coding! Here is a website that offers a free 90 day trial. http://www.edutyping.com
By registering for and attending CoderDojo Denver:
- you are committing to encourage your student to attend often and to socialize with other students
- you are committing to help set up and clean up for a dojo session if requested
- you are giving permission for your student’s image to possibly be used by CoderDojo Denver and its sponsors and hosts in marketing and other educational materials including but not limited to website, social media, and video instruction.